Author Topic: New Plants and Trees?  (Read 2379 times)

October 30, 2015, 02:27:32 PM
Read 2379 times

StrakanXJ

• Information
    • View Profile
    • HellsWolfPak
Has anybody endeavoured to make new plants and trees for ST...not as models of course but to be used as distributions and be placed like any other?
I've been thinking 'it can't be too hard...?' so im going to give it a shot myself, I feel there is not enough diversity in the plant options. Really stuck to a certain latitude with firs and birches.
If anyone has any advice or suggestions, please share. I'll be using Blender and plan to release anything im happy with for you good people to use, should you wish.

Peace!
My First Level!
Faerie_Hill.7z

October 31, 2015, 04:06:09 PM
Reply #1

StrakanXJ

• Information
    • View Profile
    • HellsWolfPak
First steps: Making custom objects
First problem CT tells me that the object has no shape. It lets me position the ghost but not place the object. Just puts an empty box.
Any Ideas, anybody?
Im using Blender to model but any advice is appreciated, no matter the system ;)
My First Level!
Faerie_Hill.7z

October 31, 2015, 08:38:11 PM
Reply #2

hydrowasul

• Information
    • View Profile
First steps: Making custom objects
First problem CT tells me that the object has no shape. It lets me position the ghost but not place the object. Just puts an empty box.
Any Ideas, anybody?
Im using Blender to model but any advice is appreciated, no matter the system ;)
does it have a CDT? if it has multiple bones, does every bone have a CDT linked?

November 01, 2015, 04:21:51 AM
Reply #3

StrakanXJ

• Information
    • View Profile
    • HellsWolfPak
Thanks hydrowasul, no it didnt have a cdt and even after adding one I got the same error: no shapes!
Turns out after making the model (at 0; 0; 0) you gotta raise it above the axis line before exporting to .X!
Sorted now though, I will get to making a few custom obstacle shapes before 'branching' out to objects with moving parts ;)
My First Level!
Faerie_Hill.7z

November 01, 2015, 03:41:27 PM
Reply #4

StrakanXJ

• Information
    • View Profile
    • HellsWolfPak
Ok so problem number two has shown up (so much for 'it cant be too hard'!)
I can place a model no problem and it shows up in game with a collision mesh. Until I placed two objects that is: then I realised they were scaled wrong. Showing up smaller in CT and overlapping in ST. Weird.
I knew it had to be something trivial so set to changing every setting i could one by one.
Still nothing though and I have tried practically every setting that seems applicable. Even some that dont.
All my xmls look like the right ones for other objects from the game...
Anyone know what I may have missed? The object is pretty much twice the size from CT to ST from what I can tell?
My First Level!
Faerie_Hill.7z

November 01, 2015, 11:27:03 PM
Reply #5

StrakanXJ

• Information
    • View Profile
    • HellsWolfPak
not 100% sure what I did (always good!) but I seem to have sorted it, it shows up the same in CT as ST.
Had to scale my cdt up a little to look right when in game otherwise the truck goes through a little...Is that usual or have I done something wrong again!?
I can see this is going to be a long and steep learning curve, especially on such a quiet forum as this but Ill keep at it and leave my working here in case it helps someone else out...
My First Level!
Faerie_Hill.7z

November 02, 2015, 06:45:40 AM
Reply #6

KRAAG

• Information
    • View Profile
Keep at it bro, I appreciate it and am keen to see what you come up with.
Strange but not a stranger, I'm an ordinary guy, burnin' down the house.

November 04, 2015, 06:01:30 AM
Reply #7

StrakanXJ

• Information
    • View Profile
    • HellsWolfPak
I'd like to think im getting the hang of this...
Just had a battle with my first two models, no matter what I did they wouldn't appear properly textured in CT!
For now I have settled with the detail_stones texture until I create my own (hope thats allowed!?)
So for now I have two custom objects that work in game etc but look like they are hewn from single slabs of granite. Not too bad I suppose but still WIP.
Im going to make a small pack or two of custom objects with materials, I think. Pics will come soon...
My First Level!
Faerie_Hill.7z

November 05, 2015, 12:08:27 AM
Reply #8

StrakanXJ

• Information
    • View Profile
    • HellsWolfPak
Trying to add a winch point to a custom object...anyone had any luck with this or am I attempting the impossible?
Attempting the impossible it seems. No matter, I found a workaround...and it seems to have pretty good results...

« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 07:34:14 AM by StrakanXJ »
My First Level!
Faerie_Hill.7z

November 20, 2015, 07:50:02 AM
Reply #9

RichieXtheXboss

• Information
    • View Profile
I think it would look better if it  was just a big pin hammered in the ground and now its time for you to animate the hook up above so it moves when pressure is put on it
anyway love what your doing with these items
lefty loosy righty tighty

November 28, 2015, 02:36:34 AM
Reply #10

StrakanXJ

• Information
    • View Profile
    • HellsWolfPak
thanks for the input richie, this is just a placeholder I made while i practise everything. Work on this has slowed to a halt while I work on other stuff anyway.
My First Level!
Faerie_Hill.7z

February 27, 2016, 02:16:24 PM
Reply #11

hoanns

• Information
    • View Profile
Hey, what is the workaround? Is that a plant or can you attach winchpoint  to models?